Volunteers / Fosters
You can make a difference. Suffolk Animal Care welcomes volunteers! We are always in need of help with socializing, cleaning, and playing with our animals, as well as showcasing them at shopping malls/stores and educating the public about responsible pet ownership. Please be aware that a waiver must be signed releasing the City of Suffolk from any liability in case of an accident.
Suffolk Animal Care Center needs volunteers to provide foster care. The Foster Care Program allows Suffolk Animal Care Center to take in more animals per year than could be housed in the shelter due to space and resource limitations. The length of the foster period depends on the animal's situation. Fostering may include nursing mothers with litters, kittens, puppies, or adult animals in need of socialization or behavior modification. Animal care in the foster home includes feeding, cleaning, providing shelter, and providing love and attention. Close observation of foster animals is needed in order to provide adequate care and early detection of any problems.
Foster Qualifications & Requirements
- Be an active volunteer for Suffolk Animal Care Center.
- Be a resident of the City of Suffolk
- Complete the Foster Care Application which includes a release of liability by the City of Suffolk for any damage done by a foster pet.
- A home visit by Suffolk Animal Control staff shall be conducted for the purpose of determining if the foster parent will be able to adequately care for a foster pet. Suffolk Animal Control may reject applicants based solely on the home visit.
- A Foster's personal animals must have a current rabies vaccine and city license.