Listed below are the many divisions within the Public Works Department, and the services which they provide:
- Administration - provides oversight for the other division's activities, as well as maintaining a close working relationship with the citizens of Suffolk and our City Council.
- Capital Improvement Projects - provides citizens the ability to view current and past projects for the Engineering and Stormwater Division of the Public Works department.
- Engineering/Stormwater Division - provides construction inspection services and plan review services to commercial and residential projects, project management services for Capital Improvements Projects; oversees stormwater environmental programs and illicit discharge programs; and provides property acquisition services.
- Fleet Management - supports other City departments and agencies by ensuring that City vehicles and equipment are available, dependable, and safe to operate; Fleet Management is currently responsible for approximately 1200 City vehicles and equipment, including police vehicles, fire and rescue apparatus, refuse/sanitation trucks, highway paving equipment, tractors, automobiles, pickup trucks, emergency generators, mowers, and much more.
- Litter Control - Adopt-a-Street/Spot, Recycling Drives, Neighborhood Beautification and national and local environmental initiatives
- Mosquito Control - provides spraying, larviciding, and surveillance for mosquitoes throughout the City.
- Refuse Division - oversees trash collection services in the City, as well as coordinating with our recycling contractor to ensure that all citizens receive the best service possible.
- Roadways Division - provides a variety of maintenance and services/repairs, including potholes, paving, bridge repair, ditch maintenance, litter control, removal of dead animals, permits, and street improvements.
- Traffic Engineering - evaluates, repairs, and upgrades traffic markings, signage, traffic lights and traffic signals; performs traffic and speed studies; also administers the City's street lighting program.
- Transit - operates the local public transportation bus routes through a partnership with Virginia Regional Transit.
Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems Report
View the General Permit for Discharges of Stormwater from Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems Report.