Litter Hits Close To Home!
Litter hurts communities and is costly to remove. Whether it is cigarettes, plastic bags, soda cans or illegal signs, litter does not belong in neighborhoods, along streets, or in parks! The consequences of litter can be felt by everyone. Litter collects in our storm drains, increasing nuisance flooding. Litter is unsightly and reduces property values as it accumulates!
Our Adopt-a-Street / Spot Programs
A great opportunity to get involved. To be part of the program you commit to 4 cleanups a year for a minimum of 2 years.
The purpose of the program is to promote citizen participation and education in litter control and beautification. If you see a street, or public area (spot), a park, a trail that you would like to Adopt, then please contact the Litter Control Office.
Registration is free, easy and fast!
- Send your application to the Litter Control Office
- Application Approval - Once your application is approved by the litter control office, you will receive a welcome letter, a sign of recognition installed at your adopted location and a safety guide. We would like four cleanups a year, but require at least two.
- Schedule the Cleanup - A week before your chosen cleanup date, notify the litter control office and they will prepare: Litter Grabbers, Gloves, Safety Vests and Orange Trash Bags for collection.
- The Cleanup - Have fun, be safe and leave the filled orange trash bags in a safe and central location on your adopted area.
- Return the Equipment - Drop off the supplies, along with your Cleanup Report Card and let us know how many bags we need to collect.
- Be Proud - Enjoy the satisfaction that comes from knowing you did your part for our community. Please tell your friends, family and organizations about the programs.
Teamup to Cleanup Program
The Suffolk Litter Control Office make it easy to do a community cleanup by providing litter grabbers, gloves, safety vests and bags. Once your cleanup is complete, participants will inform the Litter Control Office to arrange for the bags and any debris to be collected.
If you want to organize a community cleanup, residents can request
“Team Up to Cleanup” yard signage which can be placed in your yard or at the site of the cleanup to rally any interested neighbors. The telephone number on the signage is directed to us and we will inform any interested neighbors of when and where the cleanup will take place.
It’s a great way to bring people together and encourage community spirit!