Automatic Disqualifying Factors for Sworn & Non-Sworn Applicants
The following list includes all items for which an application for a sworn and non-sworn position will be automatically disqualified.
- Conviction of any felony
- Conviction of domestic violence
- Any involvement in the sale of or distribution of illegal drugs
- Conviction of any Class 1 or 2 misdemeanor (or the Virginia State Law equivalent) within the last five years, excluding traffic violations (minor offenses may be looked at on a case-by-case basis)
- Embezzlement or misappropriation of funds from a former employer
- Founded child/elder abuse or neglect case
- Illegal possession of a schedule I or II drug or any derivative thereof within the last five years (excluding marijuana)
- Illegal use and/or possession of anabolic steroids within the last five years
- Illegal use of any drug classified as a hallucinogen within the last five years
- Four or more negative points on a Virginia Operator's license (or the equivalent for out-of-state residents). Points may be negated by attending defensive driving school offered by the DMV prior to the one-on-one interview with the background investigator.
- Conviction of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol within past five years
- Eluding police within past five years
- Leaving the scene of an accident within past two years
- Multiple convictions of DUI
- No valid driver's license and/or inability to obtain a Virginia license
- Refusal to take a blood or breath test related to suspected DUI/DUID within past five years
- Suspension or revocation of license or conviction of reckless driving within the last twelve months
- Two or more bankruptcies
- Any "Dishonorable Discharge" or discharge "other than Honorable" from the military resulting from disciplinary action (case by case as determined by disposition code)
- Cheating on any examination or testing associated with this position
- Crimes of moral turpitude (lying, cheating, stealing)
- Ineligibility to possess a firearm in Virginia
- Intentional omission on the application/background process for this position. Intentional lying on the application/background process for this position
- Having any visible tattoos, brands, piercings, intentional scarifications (intentional scarifications are those that did not occur accidentally/naturally) other body modifications on the face, head, front half of the neck in front of the ears (50% of the neck behind the ears). Offensive tattoos are prohibited.
- Full tattoo sleeves ARE allowed. Full sleeve tattoos, including the hands, are allowed, but tattoos or body art displaying the following are prohibited: racism, sexism, or sexually suggestive or explicit, obscenity or profane, gang or drug related, or undermining City or Department values.