What is litter?
According to Keep America Beautiful Inc., litter is “misplaced solid waste.” Litter includes paper, cigarette butts, illegal signs, abandoned cars, old tires, furniture, appliances and any other items that are not disposed of properly. The state of Virginia spends millions annually to clean up roadside trash and litter. Litter detracts from the county’s beauty, decreases property values and, over time, could affect economic development.
Why do people litter?
According to Keep America Beautiful Inc., people litter for one of three reasons:
• Where litter has already accumulated
• Where someone else will clean up after them
• Where they feel no sense of ownership for the property
Where does litter come from?
• Uncovered vehicles
• Household trash handling
• Construction/demolition sites
• Commercial refuse sources