When applying for a permit, you must submit two
hard copies or a digital copy of plans for the review process. Plans must clearly illustrate the nature of all of the work to be performed.
- Completed Application for Services
- Code year used for the design.
- Name, address, contact information and occupation of the building designer (if not sealed)
- Project name, address of the building.
- Sealed Truss(floor and/or roof) plans (layouts and profiles), All Engineered Wood Products layouts and profiles (LVL, I-joists, structural posts, shear/strong wall products , if applicable)
- Completed Application for Services - Commercial (PDF)
- For structural work, a completed Hampton Roads Statement of Special Inspections.
- Signed and sealed energy documents (building envelope, mechanical, interior and exterior lighting) by Comcheck or ASHRAE 90.1 for the applicable code year.
- MEPs are not to be a deferred submittal and shall be submitted with building plan review.
- Phased work shall be communicated at the start of the project.
- If the addition or modification defines as a “Change of Occupancy”, a summary shall be provided indicating the complete occupant load for the entire building shall be provided and a new Certificate of Occupancy will be issued
- The plans are required to be sealed in accordance with 54.1-402 of the Code of Virginia (attached). The Building Official or designee may also require plans to be sealed depending on the nature or scope of the project.
- Completed Application for Services - Residential (PDF)
- For a new single family dwelling, a completed Hampton Roads Plan Review Checklist
- For a new single family dwelling Model home, a completed SFD Model Request form
- Wall bracing method and worksheet. Must comply with R602 of the Virginia Residential Code (VRC).
- Plans showing Wall section(s), Elevations, Roof plans, footing and foundation (girders, joists, spans), floor plan showing use of rooms, label egress windows, location of smoke detectors at a minimum.