The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) established the rights of "persons with disabilities" to have comparable service to the regular bus. This means that they have the right to service at the same hours, days and areas as the fixed route service.
Service area for paratransit service is limited to pick-up and drop-off locations located within ¾ mile of the fixed route bus system.
With an approved ADA certification, reservations may be made Monday through Saturday from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m by calling 757-214-6442. If you need to call on weekends or on a holiday to request a ride for the next day, you should use our phone answering system at 757-214-6442 to record your request. A representative will call you back as soon as possible to confirm your ride. Please be aware that your trip is not confirmed until someone notifies you that the trip was scheduled.
Reservations can be scheduled up to the day before to fourteen (14) days in advance of the requested travel date. No same day reservations and/or changes are allowed, excluding emergencies out of the control of the rider.
The fare is $3 each way. The applicant is allowed to have 1 Personal Care Attendant (PCA) ride with them at no charge. A PCA is a professional healthcare attendant. The applicant may also have 1 family member or friend ride with then for the basic fare of $3 each way.
The applicant's trip purpose is not relevant to the trip being scheduled. The criterion is there a bus route at the locations at the time service is requested.
Visitors may use Suffolk Paratransit with an approved ADA certification card from their hometown bus system. If no such documentation is available, the visitor is to provide documentation of residence outside of the jurisdiction where service is being requested and, if the disability is not apparent, proof of the disability. This might include, for example, a letter from a doctor. They may use the service for no more than 21 days during a 365-day period. After the 21 days of service in this time frame, visitors are required to complete the full eligibility process. They will be required to pay the $3 per person for each ride.
Help Us Serve You Better
- Please cancel a trip at least 2 hours before the scheduled pick-up time.
- Please have your fare ready before boarding.
- Please make your reservation at least 1 business day in advance.
- Please be ready before your scheduled pick-up time. Your pick-up window is between 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after your scheduled pick-up time. When the driver arrives during your pick-up window, he/she will wait up to 5 minutes for you to board.
- You will be responsible for carrying your own packages. The driver may not carry packages on or off the vehicles.
- If you will have additional riders accompanying you, please let us know when you schedule your ride.