Build an Addition in the Resource Protection Areas

If a property owner proposes to construct an addition to an existing structure that was built within the RPA buffer, or the addition will be in the buffer, a CBPA Encroachment Application (PDF) must be submitted to the Planning Division. In no case can an existing accessory structure be enlarged in the RPA.

A homeowner has the ability to request an exception to the buffer area requirement and development criteria for the RPA through an Exception Application (PDF) submitted to the Planning Division. For the Planning Commission to make a final decision regarding the approval/denial of an exception the request must demonstrate reasonable and appropriate conditions have been imposed to safeguard water quality. The full list of findings that must be made for an exception are outlined in the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area Overlay District regulations found in Section 31-415 of the Unified Development Ordinance.
Buffer Plan Map