As we are all aware, community connections and involvement are an important factor as together we move forward in our fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. Community testing is an important aspect of this battle, and in addition to previously scheduled events, the City of Suffolk and the Western Tidewater Health District have also partnered with several faith-based organizations throughout our City to provide convenient, FREE, walk-up and drive-thru testing opportunities, on a first-come, first-served basis until tests run out, as follows:
- Monday, July 20th, 9:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m., Whaleyville Recreation Center, 132 Robertson Street
- Monday, July 20th, 1:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m., Oakland Christian United Church of Christ, 5641 Godwin Boulevard
- Tuesday, July 21st, 9:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m., Suffolk Health Department, 135 Hall Avenue
- Wednesday, July 22nd, 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m., First Baptist Church – Mahan Street, 112 Mahan Street
- Wednesday, July 22nd, 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m., Balm Church, 523 E. Washington Street
Residents who wish to be tested are encouraged to either drive-up to the testing sites, or walk-up directly. All testing offered at these locations is FREE. Social distancing in the walk-up portion of the facility will be required. Free hand sanitizers and face masks will also be provided to attendees, courtesy of the Governor’s Equity Task Force.
The tests are a nasopharyngeal swab that tests for current presence of the virus. Asymptomatic carriers may test positive if they have the virus. This is not an antibody test, and unless you currently have the virus, cannot tell if you have previously been exposed to it. Test results will be provided within 3 to 4 business days. Those testing positive will be contacted by phone. Those testing negative will be sent results via U.S. Mail to the address provided.
The City of Suffolk and the Suffolk Health Department would like to express their appreciation to participating Churches for their involvement in these events, including Reverend Mary Anne Biggs, Pastor of Oakland Christian United Church of Christ; Reverend Dr. Steven Blunt, Senior Pastor, First Baptist Church – Mahan Street; and Bishop A. S. Hall, Sr., Balm Church. You do not need to be a parishioner or member of the participating Churches in order to receive this FREE testing.
For more information, call 757.514.4700.