Automatic Disqualifying Factors for Sworn & Non-Sworn Applicants
The following list includes all items for which an application for a sworn and non-sworn position will be automatically disqualified.
- Conviction of any felony.
- Conviction of domestic violence
- Conviction of any Class 1 or 2 misdemeanor (or the Virginia State Law equivalent) within the last five years, excluding traffic violations (minor offenses may be looked at on a case by case basis)
- Any involvement in the sale of or distribution of illegal drugs
- Illegal possession of a schedule I or II drug or any derivative thereof within the last fifteen years (excluding marijuana)
- Illegal use and/or possession of anabolic steroids within the last five years
- Illegal use of any drug classified as a hallucinogen
- Illegal use or possession of marijuana or hashish within the last twelve months
- Embezzlement or misappropriation of funds from a former employer
- Founded child abuse or neglect case
- Four or more negative points on a Virginia Operator’s license (or the equivalent for out of state residents). Points may be negated by attending defensive driving school offered by the DMV prior to the initial testing.
- Conviction of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (within past five years)
- Multiple convictions of DUI
- Refusal to take a blood or breath test (within past five years)
- Eluding police (within past five years)
- Leaving the scene of an accident (within past five years)
- Suspension or revocation of license or conviction of reckless driving within the last twelve months
- No valid driver’s license and/or inability to obtain a Virginia license
- Crimes of moral turpitude (lying, cheating, stealing etc)
- Two or more bankruptcies
- Any discharge other than "Honorable Discharge" from the military
- Cheating on any examination or testing associated with this position
- Intentional omission or lying on application for this position
- Ineligibility to possess a firearm in Virginia
- Visible tattoos, brands, or scarifications anywhere on the face, head, neck or hands (including fingers)
- Tattoos or brands in excess of 50% of the surface area between the elbow and wrist as well as between the knee and ankle (full sleeves are prohibited).
If you would like more information on opportunities within the Suffolk Police Department contact our Background Investigator at 757-514-7907.