The Suffolk Police Department affords volunteer opportunities in six areas: Auxiliary, Intern, Chaplain, Administration, Civic League Liaison and Animal Control.
The Suffolk Police Department allows for two levels of volunteerism within our Auxiliary Program. Upon completion of the training program, a minimum of 16 volunteer hours a month are required of participants in both auxiliary programs.
Auxiliary 'A' Program
At the end of the training program, applicants will be VA DCJS certified as a Law Enforcement Officer. This is a sworn and armed volunteer position.
Training Requirements for Auxiliary 'A':
- Applicants must complete a 10 month regional academy
- Location varies but classes will be held in the Hampton Roads area
- A time commitment of approximately 48 hours a month is required
- Some weekend commitments will be required
- Applicants must complete a 140 hour Field Training Program
- Field training to be held in the City of Suffolk
- The Field Training Program lasts approximately seven months
Auxiliary 'B' Program
At the end of the training program, applicants will have the training necessary to assist as "Traffic Assistance Officers." This is a non-sworn and non-armed volunteer position.
Training Requirements for Auxiliary 'B':
- Applicants must complete a 10 hour training class
- Applicants must complete four training Ride Alongs
- For college credit or experience
- Specific start and stop dates
- Not less than 120 hours
- Ordained ministers to provide spiritual support for the police, civil servants in the department and citizens
Administration, Civic League Liaison and Animal Control Volunteers
Volunteer opportunities are available within various areas of the police department to include Administration, Civic League Liaison, and Animal Control. Our Department is made better by its selfless volunteers. If you are interested in spending some time each month assisting the police department in accomplishing its mission; we welcome the opportunity to discuss the unique contribution you can make.
Selection Requirements for all Volunteer Positions
- Must successfully pass a background investigation
- Must successfully pass a Chief’s interview
- Auxiliary Police Officer volunteers must pass a psychological examination, a medical examination and a polygraph examination.
If you would like more information on opportunities within the Suffolk Police Department contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Rick Vroman, at 757-514-7909.