Beginning January 1, 2021, if you are a Disabled Veteran, your Personal Property tax
on one motor vehicle may be exempt per Virginia Code §
58.1-3668. To qualify for the exemption, the veteran must have been rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans
Affairs or its successor agency pursuant to federal law with a:
- 100% service-connected, permanent and total disability, OR
- Permanent and total disability being paid at the 100% rate because of unemployability due to service-connected disability
A reduced personal property tax rate of $2.125 per hundred dollars of value on one owned motor vehicle may be available to veterans who do not qualify for the exemption because they are not 100% service-connected
. The veteran must have been rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or its successor agency pursuant to federal law to have one of the following service connected disabilities:
- Has lost, or lost the use of, a leg, arm or hand
- Or Is blind (as defined by Code of Virginia §46.2-100)
- Or Is permanently and totally disabled
To apply, email, fax, or mail a copy of your "Summary of Benefit's
" letter, which states that your service connected disability is permanent and total. You may submit an application (PDF)
with your benefits letter or call our office at (757) 514-4260 to designate a vehicle. Alternatively, the highest assessed vehicle will be selected.
Thank you for your service to our country!