Automatic Disqualifying Factors for Sworn & Non-Sworn Applicants
The following list includes all items for which an application for a sworn and non-sworn position will be automatically disqualified.
- Conviction of any felony
- Conviction of domestic violence
- Any involvement in the sale of or distribution of illegal drugs
- Conviction of any Class 1 or 2 misdemeanor (or the Virginia State Law equivalent) within the last 5 years, excluding traffic violations (minor offenses may be looked at on a case by case basis)
- Embezzlement or misappropriation of funds from a former employer
- Founded child abuse or neglect case
- Illegal possession of a schedule I or II drug or any derivative thereof within the last fifteen years (excluding marijuana)
- Illegal use and/or possession of anabolic steroids within the last five years
- Illegal use of any drug classified as a hallucinogen
- Illegal use or possession of marijuana or hashish within the last 12 months
- 4 or more negative points on a Virginia Operator's license (or the equivalent for out of state residents). Points may be negated by attending defensive driving school offered by the DMV prior to the initial testing.
- Conviction of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (within past 5 years)
- Eluding police (within past 5 years)
- Leaving the scene of an accident (within past 5 years)
- Multiple convictions of DUI
- No valid driver's license and/or inability to obtain a Virginia license
- Refusal to take a blood or breath test (within past 5 years)
- Suspension or revocation of license or conviction of reckless driving within the last twelve months
- 2 or more bankruptcies
- Any discharge other than "Honorable Discharge" from the military
- Cheating on any examination or testing associated with this position
- Crimes of moral turpitude (lying, cheating, stealing, etc)
- Ineligibility to possess a firearm in Virginia
- Intentional omission or lying on application for this position
- Tattoos or brands in excess of 50% of the surface area between the elbow and wrist as well as between the knee and ankle (full sleeves are prohibited).
- Visible tattoos, brands, or scars anywhere on the face, head, neck or hands (including fingers)
If you would like more information about opportunities within the Suffolk Police Department e-mail a Background Investigator at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com.