Our Mission Statement
The mission of the Elections and Registration Department is to register citizens of Suffolk City to vote; to ensure that elections are impartial, fair, accurate, and accessible to all voters; to provide excellent customer service to voters, candidates, and the media; and to help the public understand and follow the laws, rules, and regulations.
November 2, 2021 General Election Information
Offices that will appear on the November 2, 2021 ballot:
- Governor (4-year term)
- Lieutenant Governor (4-year term)
- Attorney General (4-year term)
- House of Delegates - 64th District (2-year term)
- House of Delegates - 76th District (2-year term)
- Commonwealth's Attorney (4-year term)
- Sheriff (4-year term)
- Commissioner of Revenue (4-year term)
- Treasurer (4-year term)
- Special Election for Sleepy Hole School Board Member (to serve remainder of term ending 12/31/2024)
Identification Required to Vote
The law has changed effective July 1, 2020. Voters are no longer required to show photo identification (ID). You will still be asked to present an acceptable form of ID when you vote. You can show any of the following IDs when you vote:
- Voter confirmation documents
- Virginia driver’s license*
- Virginia DMV-issued photo ID
- United States passport
- Employer-issued photo ID
- Student ID issued by any community college or university located in the United States
- Other U.S. or Virginia government-issued photo ID
- Tribal enrollment or other tribal photo ID
- Virginia Voter Photo ID card
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document containing the name and address of the voter
- For a more detailed list of acceptable IDs
- * Your DMV license may be used at any time. Virginia law permits an expired DMV license to be used for voting purposes.
Can I vote if I forget my ID?
Yes! If you get to your polling place without acceptable ID, you can sign an ID statement affirming your identity, you will be able to vote a regular ballot.
If you do not sign an ID statement to affirm your identity you may vote a provisional ballot.